How often should I clean my dryer vents?
February 3rd, 2023
A well-known measure to keep our dryer running smoothly is to clean and empty the lint filter before each use to avoid overloading it. But what about dryer vents? Find out in this article.
It is recommended to clean the dryer vents every year or more frequently if you notice that drying is taking longer than usual or if you notice heat or smoke coming out of the dryer. Also, if you notice dust or lint in the room where the dryer is located.
Dryer vents that are not cleaned regularly can cause fires in the vents, in the dryer, or in the house. Debris such as dust, lint, fibers, and fabric residue can build up in the ducts, blocking air and causing the dryer to overheat. It is also important to clean the dryer vents to improve the efficiency of the dryer. Clogged vents can cause uneven drying of clothes, and increased energy consumption. In addition to cleaning the dryer vents annually, do not overload the dryer as this can cause ventilation and drying problems.
How do I clean dryer vents?
There are several ways to clean dryer vents. Here are some general steps for cleaning the ducts :
– Unplug the dryer from the power supply before you begin cleaning the ducts.
– Remove the vent hose from the dryer. It is usually located at the back of the dryer and is easily unscrewed or removed.
– Using a long-handled brush or a soft rod to remove dust and lint that has accumulated in the ducts.
– Use a vacuum cleaner to remove any remaining debris. Be sure to empty the vacuum bag or tank after cleaning the ducts.
– Reinsert the dryer vent hose and secure it firmly.
– Plug the dryer into the power supply and check that everything is working properly.
You can also use a dryer vent cleaner available in stores to pull out hard-to-remove residue. It’s important to follow the cleaner’s instructions for safe use.
In summary, cleaning dryer vents is essential to prevent fires, improve dryer efficiency and save money on operating costs. As explained earlier, it is recommended to clean the ducts at least once a year, or more frequently if you notice drying or venting problems. Contact our team if you have any questions or need our services. Solution D’air can help with the duct cleaning of your residential, commercial, or industrial property in Gatineau and Ottawa.